Thursday, September 27, 2007

Mesquite does Google Earth files


The latest version of the David and Wayne Maddison's Cartographer module for their program Mesquite can export KML files for Google Earth. They graciously acknowledge my crude efforts in this direction, and Bill Piel's work -- he really started this whole thing rolling.

So, those of you inspired to try your hand at Google Earth trees, and who were frustrated by the lack of tools should grab a copy of Mesquite and take it for a spin.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks pretty cool. I wonder if I should add this to the manuscipt I've been working on for months now (which never gets finished because I keep adding data and people keep producing cool new analytical/visualization tools)...

Anonymous said...

Good, but is it just me, or is Mesquite the most confusing piece of software ever written. You click one menu item and immediately get assaulted by 37 brightly colored other windows. IT HURTS MY BRAIN.

Anonymous said...

Mesquite works just great for me, as long as I do something almost exactly like one of the example files. For example, I find it much easier to simulate DNA data in Mesquite than in the latest version of Seq-Gen (actually, Seq-Gen's o.k. -- the front-end software is the problem...has that been fixed yet?), because there's a nice example that shows me how to do that. Any time I try to deviate too far from an example, though, poof -- I get nothing or craziness.

I generally attribute this to my own stupidity, but there's always the possibility that there's something wrong with the software itself...